Determine your landlord's foreclosure status
If your landlord still owns the property:
1. Keep paying your rent! If you stop paying your rent, you could be evicted.
2. Keep tabs on the status of the foreclosure. Not all foreclosures go through. Many are resolved.
3. For more detailed info, check out the Is Your Landlord Going Through Foreclosure? page on the Connecticut Network for Legal Assistance website.
If the foreclosure is complete and your landlord no longer owns the property
1. Find out the name and contact info for the new owner of your building from the Clerk’s Office.
2. Expect to receive a letter or a visit from a broker representing the new owner offering a "cash for
keys" deal to persuade you to move out right away.
3. Do not be intimidated into moving out right away. You have rights under a federal law called the
Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act.